Re: Food for thought - GNOME-2.8 and multimedia

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 17:55, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as young, fresh and juicy maintainer, I thought I'd share some random
> ideas that are hopefully good food for thoughts. Please share your
> opinions. Those ideas cover GNOME-media (package) and GNOME multimedia
> (general) development for GNOME-2.8 and beyond. Consider this some
> "rolling of dices".
>
> * there's a patch in bugzilla for GStreamer-based CD support in gnome-cd.
> This has the positive side-effect that it now also access CDDB and thus
> becomes a whole lot better accessible. Probably needs to go into GNOME
> 2.8.
>
> * given the increasing media support in GStreamer, do we want to target
> for totem-gst in GNOME 2.8 again? If so, separate package or as part of
> GNOME-media (easy side-entrance)? Bastien, do you mind totem-gst (rather
> than totem-xine - for the obvious legal reasons) going into GNOME-2.8 now?
> Too early?

As long as feature-wise it's as capable as the xine backend (or that
non-implemented features are hidden) and that it's pretty stable (I
mean, idiot proof stable, not "works for me if i don't do that, and
that" stable), I'm not against it.

I'm cranking up new features, cleanups and fixing long standing bugs.
And after the 1.0 (which will come at some point, for sure), I'll do
more work on merging bits of RB and Totem.

> * of course there's Rhythmbox. ;).

Things that Totem and RB should be able to share:
- The playlist parser
- The libbacon CD drive detection (when RB gets CD playback)
- The video/audio widget (we want nifty visuals, don't we)
- Possibly the Musicbrainz object (which we'll steal from sound-juicer)
- Some work on the GUI to look/behave more alike

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating
for while.