0.8 in 2.6 ?
- From: in7y118 public uni-hamburg de
- To: gstreamer-devel lists sourceforge net
- Cc: rhythmbox-devel gnome org, gnome-multimedia gnome org
- Subject: 0.8 in 2.6 ?
- Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:18:33 +0200
I'm out for opinions again.
There's 2 questions I really want to get nailed down, because I want to steer
our development and Rhythmbox into the right direction.
1) Do we want GStreamer 0.8 released in time for Gnome 2.6?
This means: Can we add all the features to the core that are needed for
everything we want supported with that release? We do not need to get all the
plugins feature-complete as they can be extended later on. Another thing is
obviously: Do apps using GStreamer need 0.8 or are they all happily using 0.6?
2) What features do we need that need API/ABI changes and that should go into
I'd like to get that sorted out now so I know if there are deadlines we
need/want to meet. Some people said we want that while others weren't sure we'd
be able to meet that deadline.
And I definitely don't want to look bad again in front of the release team when
we slip schedules again.
As for my personal opinion:
I want 0.8 in 2.6. I hate it that loads of our developers power is lost on some
dead-end branch where it could put to use to do important stuff on the branch
that has a future.
The features that come to mind immediately are
- gettext support
Features that could be implemented without breaking API/ABI later on - during a
stable 0.8 branch:
- more interfaces/implementing interfaces in the plugins
- a new autoplugger
- more plugins
- an extensive testsuite
So much for me,
[Date Prev][Date Next
] [Thread Prev][Thread Next