Re: [gst-devel] 0.8 in 2.6 ?

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:18:33PM +0200, in7y118 public uni-hamburg de wrote:
> Hi people,
> I'm out for opinions again.
> There's 2 questions I really want to get nailed down, because I want to steer
> our development and Rhythmbox into the right direction.
>
> 1) Do we want GStreamer 0.8 released in time for Gnome 2.6?

Yes.  I don't think we ever intended to go so long with 0.6.  IMO,
I think that shows how well 0.6 has held up.  But there are definitely
signs that applications need more power from GStreamer, and that
pressure will only increase.  Better to have a good 0.8 release
soon rather than a great 0.8 release later.

> 2) What features do we need that need API/ABI changes and that should go into
> 0.8?

We need a general API cleanup.  In particular, all the dust corners
of the language bindings should be checked so that we can make ABI
ABI-incompatible changes sooner.  This is unlikely to be done unless
someone adopts the project and follows through.

Also, I'd like to do a caps implementation rewrite -- I've already
done much of it.  If it misses 0.8, no big loss, though.

dave...