Re: Ideas and graph

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 17:44, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Windows has 2 apps for MM:
> - basic cd player
> - Window Media I do it all Player (with an awful interface for both
> movies and music)

I think in 98, at least, it defaults to the (definitely awful) WMP for
CDs; certainly I tried to find a way to use something else for CDs and
failed last time I was home. [It's mind-boggling that a CD player can
use 30+% of your CPU.]

> MacOS X has a better way to see this:
> - Quicktime for movie playing (crap interface, no options, apart from
> the proprietary codecs, QT Basic is even worse than Totem as far as
> video playing is concerned)
> - iTunes for audio (nice interface, but non-native widgets)

<nod>

> I'd prefer Gnome to go the OSX way. I hope Totem can top gst-player as
> far video players are concerned ;) (hey, I'm biased)

Assuming we can make the overhead from using RB to play CDs fairly
minimal, I think this is /basically/ the right path to go.

One omission, though- note that I have no idea how OS/X handles
non-'music' audio- I think it's not unreasonable to have a smaller,
simpler player-app for such things (.wavs, .aus, etc.) The RB interface
is definitely 'biased' towards tracks and collections of tracks and is
probably pretty poor for those other things, which we do need to handle
still.

Luis