Re: Ideas and graph

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 21:16, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can imagine you'll want metadata support in gst-player at some point
> > (not only when playing, but also in the playlist). How do you plan to do
> > that? Getting metadata for all files using gstreamer will be insanely
> > slow (create a pipeline for every file, play it until you receive all
> > data, and kill it again).
>
> Metadata is definately something that should be done in GStreamer as well.
> For some reason we haven't gotten round to it - mostly because of
> differing opinions on how it should be done.  There are lots of ways to do
> this.
>
> Insanely slow, that would be very surprising, unless you have actual
> numbers ;) First of all, it might not even be necessary to actually create
> a pipeline for it.  We're working that out currently.
>
> Second, even if it were, how is this slower than opening the file and
> parsing data ? Because that's pretty much all the pipeline will be doing.

Well I would guess creating a pipeline for it would add more overhead
than just opening the file ;) And, as it is done right now, apart from
potential slowness it's also a PITA to use. (create pipeline, hook up to
signals, play, parse signals, detect in some way there are no more to
come, stop the pipeline, unref)

> It'd be worse if a lib like monkey-media were *forced* to depend on *all*
> media libs out there, just to query for metadata, because that's exactly
> the issue that GStreamer is solving succesfully right now - being able to
> use a lot of libs, without forcing you to have them all to run your app.

Well, it would be pretty easy to make them build only if the reqiured
dependencies are available. But you're right, a plugin system is muhc
nicer here.

> IMO this is a problem that we should solve in GStreamer.  Jorn, you should
> join into that discussion (which I intend to restart now) because it's
> important for monkey-media as well.

If there is a way to get metadata in a clean and easy to query way into
the pipeline system that would rock, but if you'd have to add something
"external" it might be better off in monkeymedia, don't know.

> This implementation should be done in time for Gnome 2.2 of course, so we
> might as well get started on it ;)

True ;)

Cheers
Jorn