Re: Ideas and graph

> Hi,
>
> I can imagine you'll want metadata support in gst-player at some point
> (not only when playing, but also in the playlist). How do you plan to do
> that? Getting metadata for all files using gstreamer will be insanely
> slow (create a pipeline for every file, play it until you receive all
> data, and kill it again).

Metadata is definately something that should be done in GStreamer as well.
For some reason we haven't gotten round to it - mostly because of
differing opinions on how it should be done.  There are lots of ways to do
this.

Insanely slow, that would be very surprising, unless you have actual
numbers ;) First of all, it might not even be necessary to actually create
a pipeline for it.  We're working that out currently.

Second, even if it were, how is this slower than opening the file and
parsing data ? Because that's pretty much all the pipeline will be doing.

It'd be worse if a lib like monkey-media were *forced* to depend on *all*
media libs out there, just to query for metadata, because that's exactly
the issue that GStreamer is solving succesfully right now - being able to
use a lot of libs, without forcing you to have them all to run your app.

IMO this is a problem that we should solve in GStreamer.  Jorn, you should
join into that discussion (which I intend to restart now) because it's
important for monkey-media as well.

This implementation should be done in time for Gnome 2.2 of course, so we
might as well get started on it ;)

Thomas

if you ever lay a finger on my left side
if you ever lay a finger on me I will open
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->