Re: Cd Burning

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:28, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > Why does it have to be a library?  Why not just use a bonobo interface?
>
> I think the correct question is - why use a bonobo interface ? While
> bonobo has it's merits, it's harder to justify using that over a lib.  So,
> while a lib is obviously a good thing to do here, bonobo might also be,
> but it's bonobo that should be proven over the lib and not the other way
> around.

Well, my thoughts on advantages of Bonobo is that you could then have
multiple CD apps "queuing" CD burns, because there is only one program
that is actually doing the burn (lets call it bonobo-cd-burner-slave for
the time being)

Any example of usage:

Coaster[1] is set up to burn the five iso images of (NULL) to CD, it can
tell bonobo-cd-burner-slave to burn the null-1.iso and then return
control to the user immediatly. The user can then tell Coaster to burn
null-2.iso and Coaster tells bonobo-cd-burner-slave to burn null-2.iso.
As it knows that null-1.iso is being burnt, it can queue null-2.iso,
until the first is finished. If inbetween the user had decided to burn
an audio CD with RhythmBox, it would then call bonobo-cd-burner-slave
and say "Burn this CD", bonobo-cd-burner-slave would queue it and
continue with null-1.iso.

Now, whether this is actually useful is debatable, but it's one
advantage I can see of having it as bonobo...

Oh, a second "advantage" could be due to the elusive remote capabilities
of bonobo...bonobo-cd-burner-slave, your CD burner and your CD burner
app don't need to be on the same system.... Again, not sure if that's
useful.

Hoohum
iain
[1] Picked not because I have any favouritism (I still use mkisofs and
cdrecord to burn CDs), but because it's the only cd burner app that I
know with a name more memorable than gnome-cdbtrcoy[2]. Sorry, but it's
true...
[2] gnome compact disc burner that's really cool oh yes.

--
"Laws are like cobwebs; strong enough to detain only the weak, and too
weak to hold the strong" - Anacharsis