Re: Cd Burning

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 09:28, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 02:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > > My take on this cd burning thing is that we need a cd/dvd burning *library*,
> > > not necessarily an application straight away. With a cd/dvd burning library,
> > > we can do funky things in Nautilus, Rhythmbox, wherever.
> >
> > Why does it have to be a library?  Why not just use a bonobo interface?
>
> I think the correct question is - why use a bonobo interface ? While
> bonobo has it's merits, it's harder to justify using that over a lib.  So,
> while a lib is obviously a good thing to do here, bonobo might also be,
> but it's bonobo that should be proven over the lib and not the other way
> around.

Well, for one, CD burning would be better off in a separate process than
the main app, just for the sake of retaining interactivity without the
chance of buffer-underrun.  And, while threads can manage that, a bonobo
interface would be more capable of queuing burning requests, no?
Something like if I tell Rythmbox to burn a Rock CD and an Anime
Soundtrack CD, it would make both requests, those would get queued by an
interface activated thru bonobo, which would burn, handle notification,
etc. etc.

Granted, I'm not in any way familiar with the intricacies of this stuff,
so maybe I'm just babbling out my arse again... ~,^