Re: gnome 2.2 and gstreamer

Hi,

> Am Fre, 2002-11-08 um 13.56 schrieb Marius Andreiana:
> > On Vi, 2002-11-08 at 14:27, iain wrote:
> > > GStreamer is not a sound server.
> > > If your soundcard does hardware mixing, or you use a sound server then
> > > you'll have no problems playing sounds at the same time,
> > right. So what's the sound server of choice? aRTSd? ( kde apps will work
> > too this way )
>
> This has been discussed too many times.

Well, yes and no ;) as Elliot pointed out as well, it has of course been
thought over and discussed, so sorry if I misrepresented that.
What I meant to say was, no  sort of decision or consensus has gronw out
of any of those thoughts and discussions, so unless an implementation gets
made and tested, there is not going to be any change in the current
situation.

A possible implementation might be having GStreamer as an extra output
layer, or using MAS (maybe).

> I hope that Leon (MAS) and the GStreamer/GNOME developers will soon
> agree on how MAS should be integrated in GNOME

First of all it needs to be decided if MAS even is the right solution.  It
might very well be, but we need to be able to test the code.  I don't know
if CVS got updated any time recently (last time I tried it still was the
original cvs'd codebase), and a first release candidate is scheduled for
january apparently.  But quite some time before agreeing on how it should
be integrated, we need to agree on whether it should be over esd.

Mike, if you're here, speak up !

Thomas

Ik voel me zo door jou verlaten
als een zoebox zonder platen
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->