Obscure CD playing problem.

Greetings,

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I am
hoping that someone here will either know the answer, or will point me
to a group that is more a propos.

I am running Gnome 1.4 under RH7.3. During some upgrade/tweak I must
have messed something up, because now I cannot listen to audio CDs.
The sound works fine (games, mp3, etc.) but no sound after invoking the
CD player (the tracks are visible, everything seems OK except no sound).
I checked the mixer settings as well. I know the hardware works, as all
I need to do is to login to KDE and the CD player works perfectly.
Thus it seems to me that it is a Gnome issue, perhaps a bad symlink or
similar glitch, but I have not been able to find it. This is
particularly annoying, as GNOME is my environment of choice.

I would apreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Piotr S.

--
Piotr R. Sidorowicz Ph.D.