Re: Some ideas...

<quote who="Michael Adams">

> For example, when a user moves over a button, we already have the
> 'pre-light' function, but what about a soft 'pop.'

Dynamic, morphing sound for an operating environment has intrigued me for
years... An older friend hacked up a sound-making "machine" (kinda like a
theremin I guess) that you manipulated with your mouse and keyboard. On
screen there was a web of lines, coloured and textured, and you mushed these
together by moving the mouse, introducing new colours and "waves" with the
keyboard.

Some of the sounds were made realtime, some were samples that were reversed,
detuned, etc. with everthing else. Very, very weird feeling - your movements
were part of this soundscape. Even with crappy sound (from memory it was
only 11kHz), it was quite engrossing.

Now, imagine that kind of dynamism integrated with a desktop environment. We
already have dynamic graphical interfaces... :) Strangely enough, when
Conrad first told me about some of the sounds he was making for Gnome, I
joked about this, and he came back with the ideas he'd a;ready had about
this -> and seriously! :D

> those events get added to the sound que, and the sequencer program
> (daemon?) reads these, layering the sounds up on top of the basic beat in
> time to the music. You could download extra sounds and genres etc. Just an
> idea, but could be quite cool to give go!

I think this is a similar idea to what I've written above, but... to a beat!
Zany! ;)

> Similar to this , but a bit 'lower' is 'Type writer, v1' which is a simple
> windows program that responds to every key press with a tap and spaces with
> a slide sound, a line returns (enter) with  the appropriate typewriter
> sound.

That's what you call, "EVIL." :D

> A bit more... for our sound panel, it sound be so that a user can drag a
> sound file from the gnome filer, or ROX-Filer onto the appropriate event.
> Then once done, just drag the completed sound theme (through an icon or
> something) back into your filer to save it.

That would be a natural extension... Cool. I haven't seen the sound capplet
for a while though, as it crashes on me. Ah well.

- Jeff

-- jdub aphid net ----------------------------- http://lazarus.aphid.net/ --

      I must be getting old... Buying toothpaste with gel in it is no
                       longer an Absolute Necessity.