EsounD on Solaris

Hi,

I'm running GNOME's grecord on Solaris, it uses esound.
I notice when playing the same file e.g. 16-bit linear
@ 8kHz with both audioplay and grecord, the output
quality is noticeably better with audioplay. Obviously
it doesn't convert the sample rate to 44.1kHz but the
degradation caused by using esound is quite serious
nonetheless.

Playing a 44.1kHz file gives the same quality output for
both grecord and audioplay - esound hasn't had to do anything
to it. Using audioconvert to convert the 8kHz file to 44.1kHz
and then playing it also gives better quality than using
esound to do it which would seem to indicate there is a
better sampling frequency convertor in audioconvert than
in esound.

Has anyone expereienced similar problems on Solaris? Is
this problem unique to Solaris?

Thanks,
Darragh.