Re: EsounD on Solaris

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Darragh O'brien - Sun Microsystems Ireland - Desktop Applications Do100715 Middleware - Software Engineer wrote:

> I'm running GNOME's grecord on Solaris, it uses esound.
> I notice when playing the same file e.g. 16-bit linear
> @ 8kHz with both audioplay and grecord, the output
> quality is noticeably better with audioplay. Obviously
> it doesn't convert the sample rate to 44.1kHz but the
> degradation caused by using esound is quite serious
> nonetheless.
>
> Playing a 44.1kHz file gives the same quality output for
> both grecord and audioplay - esound hasn't had to do anything
> to it. Using audioconvert to convert the 8kHz file to 44.1kHz
> and then playing it also gives better quality than using
> esound to do it which would seem to indicate there is a
> better sampling frequency convertor in audioconvert than
> in esound.
>
> Has anyone expereienced similar problems on Solaris? Is
> this problem unique to Solaris?

According to "heard in passing" comments, the resampler in esound doesn't
do interpolation.

Also, I dunno how the sound device on Solaris works - if it can set its
rate to exactly 8khz, then audioplay might be doing that, which would
sound better than esound ever could.
-- Elliot
[ "In a democracy, the government is the people," Milo explained. "We're people,
aren't we? So we might just as well keep the money and eliminate the middleman." ]
							- Catch-22