Re: [gnome-love] GNOME needs some good SDK

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Michele Alex D. De Pascalis
<glaedr il drago gmail com> wrote:
Just look around: Apple and Microsofts have their own SDKs, APIs and IDEs perfectly working with them.
Compared to these, developing for GNOME is way too hard and complicated. Maybe we have the fastest
software, but we have to write with Gtk, which is just a toolkit, without anything else really integrating
it. And C is over, so autogenerating a wrapper isn't a good solution (talking about gtkmm). If a newbie
gets in touch with Cocoa and Xcode, he gets templates, he gets wide documentation, he connects events with
handlers by a drag'n'drop, cutting on the IDE's editor.
But it's not just about the IDE itself, it's also about paradigms: Apple chose Model View Controller and
Delegation, and everything is written around these, and it takes seconds to add a View to your application.
I'm saying this because I've been learning Cocoa for eight months, and I had learnt C++ before. Even now I
know C++ is better in many ways, but trying back Gtk made me understand it's not about the language, now.
Those who write iOS or Mac apps know what I mean with all this.

Completely agree. I think that a lot of other GNOME contributors would
agree also.

I really hope that we will have an SDK one day.

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/