[gnome-love] About a Linux installer technology I cannot remember the name of :(

Hi,

I cannot remember the name of an installer technology that was invented few years ago that was supposed to make it easy to install "universal" binaries across various Linux distributions.
The reason I would like to get to the corresponding web page of that project is that the same person that invented that, also invented other stuff that I would like to look at again now.
What I remember is:
(1) the person that invented that installation method was working on Wine as a full time job
(2) his brother was a musician (no kidding: the nice person he is, he had put a link to his brother's band from his project page)
(3) the GUI of the installer was written in GTK, but could install KDE applications as well
(4) if I remember correctly, for few years, both Abiword and Inkscape made use of such installation/packaging technology

Despite all these hints, for the best of me I cannot recollect what the name of that installer technology was, or find it on Google: can someone on this list please help me?

Thank you! chris