Re: [gnome-love] totem plugin development dependencies

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 07:49 -0500, Adam Dingle wrote:
Richard,

Totem does not allow you to build plugins outside of its source tree
easily, since 'make install' does not install header files such as
totem.h and totem-plugin.h.  So I think the easiest path forward will
be for you to first build Totem as you suggested.  You can then add
your new plugin to the src/plugins directory in the Totem source tree
and rebuild.

That's fixed in the Totem for GNOME 3.x. For example:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2264253

Building Totem from git/master on Ubuntu 10.04 (or even Ubuntu 10.10)
is not so easy, because the git/master version depends on newer
versions of many GNOME libraries including GTK 3.0.  I'd suggest that
you simply build Totem 2.30 (the version included in Ubuntu 10.04)
from source, which is very easy.  You can then develop your plugin in
the Totem 2.30 source tree.  To do this, download the Totem source
from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/totem/2.30/ .  You could
try either 2.30.0 (the specific version in Ubuntu 10.04) or 2.30.2
(which will probably also work).  Then simply do this:

2.30 is 6 months old, and you shouldn't target it for new plugins.