Re: [gnome-love] totem plugin development dependencies

Richard,

Totem does not allow you to build plugins outside of its source tree easily, since 'make install' does not install header files such as totem.h and totem-plugin.h.  So I think the easiest path forward will be for you to first build Totem as you suggested.  You can then add your new plugin to the src/plugins directory in the Totem source tree and rebuild.

Building Totem from git/master on Ubuntu 10.04 (or even Ubuntu 10.10) is not so easy, because the git/master version depends on newer versions of many GNOME libraries including GTK 3.0.  I'd suggest that you simply build Totem 2.30 (the version included in Ubuntu 10.04) from source, which is very easy.  You can then develop your plugin in the Totem 2.30 source tree.  To do this, download the Totem source from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/totem/2.30/ .  You could try either 2.30.0 (the specific version in Ubuntu 10.04) or 2.30.2 (which will probably also work).  Then simply do this:

% sudo apt-get build-dep totem
% cd totem-2.32.0
% make
% sudo make install