Re: [gnome-love] Project idea : presentation tool for the GNOME desktop

Hi Stéphane,

Am Samstag, den 27.03.2010, 21:18 +0100 schrieb Stéphane Maniaci:
I'd like to apply for the GNOME GSoC program with the goal to create a
simple, efficient and pretty presentation tool for the GNOME Desktop.
I've tried a bunch of tools like OO.org Impress, Google Docs, and even
Beamer, but never achieved the slick result a friend of mine can do in
~30 seconds with Apple Keynote.

Presentation tools in GNOME that quickly come to my mind are
      * Agnubis (dead, http://projects.gnome.org/agnubis/index.shtml -
        no idea where the code is, plus it will be ugly and ancient)
      * http://git.gnome.org/browse/present/ which is also dead
      * Criawips (see http://live.gnome.org/Criawips/ ) which had its
        last code commit 32 months ago (depends on how you define
        "dead", but the author Sven Herzberg is definitely still around
        in GNOME so you could talk to him).

I don't want to demotivate, but founding a completely new project is way
more complicated than joining or reviving an existing project,
especially when being under time pressure and having to deal with
software architecture and project management.
Plus in general I'm afraid of having yet another presentation tool that
will die a few months after starting that project.

But well, maybe I'm just too pessimistic and you can make the difference
here. :-)

Best wishes,
andre
--