[gnome-love] Adding LIRC support -- GSoc?

I am thinking of trying to add infrared remote support through LIRC to
GNOME, and have a couple of questions.

1. Would this make a good Google Summer of Code project?
Is it big enough? too big?

2. Is this too big a chunk to bite off for a rather new developer?
I'm a rather new developer, and while I know C, I lack practical
experience when it comes to big projects.

3. What is the best way implement it?
Would it be best done as a panel applet? as a plugin to
gnome-settings-daemon such as the current multimedia-keys plugin? or
as added functionality to the currently existing multimedia-keys
plugin? Much of the code (specifically for volume magement) would
probably be at least based on, if not copied from the multimedia-keys
plugin.

4. Is this something people want in GNOME, and has it been done already?
I aquired a IR remote a couple of months ago, and spent hours on
google trying to figure out how to make my remote control my volume
through GNOME so that I could get the nice little popup and
everything, and the only thing I found, was that no one can do it.

Thanks for your input,
--Jason Ekstrand