[gnome-love] GSOC 2008 advice

Greetings all,

I am interested in applying to work on a project for Gnome during the
summer of code 2008, and I have a few ideas.

Idea #1) Re-implement the panel-applet library/interface to depend on
DBUS.

Idea #2) Migrate the panel to GIO/GVFS and DBUS.

Idea #3) Develop a tutorial for GIO/GVFS.

Idea #4) Create more compositing effects for metacity and develop a gui
configuration tool for the effects.

Are these ideas any good? Are they in line with what Gnome needs at the
moment? Would they duplicate the work of a Gnome developer? Lastly, (and
probably most importantly) would there be a mentor available to help
with any of these projects?

I'm really excited about the possibility of doing SOC this year, and I
would like to get studying and learning as soon as possible. Any
feedback or advice is most appreciated.

Thank you,

Benjamin