Re: [gnome-love] Eye of Gnome Code Complexity

Quoting Hal <hala cse unsw edu au>:

Hey list,

Mucking around with gtk+ libglade etc I downloaded the source for eog.
% for file in **/**.c; do cat $file; done | wc -l
tells me there are 26636 lines of code in .c files.
This is approximately an order of magnitude more lines of code than I
was expecting. Eog
doesn't seem to do very much and most of the tricky stuff (gtk, image
rendering etc.) is done by libraries.

Am I massively underestimating the complexity of code required for a
simple gnome application?
Is eog not such a good example of a simple but real gnome application?
Something else altogether?

EOG code, in its latest versions and also in SVN trunk, is a bit old and more
complicated than we would like. For example, some parts of the code implement
things that nowadays are implemented by GTK+, but when they were first needed,
they weren't (like the EogWrapList, for example). As a result, the code is
bigger than it should.

So yes, I think the EOG code you got is not the best example of a GNOME
application given the age of the code, and the tons of patches and workarounds
it has suffered of. However, you can grab the eog-ng branch from SVN, where
we've been rewriting a *a lot* of it. I'd like to say it's a much better example
of a today's GNOME application, its code is way cleaner and more enjoyable, but
I wouldn't say it's *that* simple neither. But hey, what's simple and
interesting in this life? :-)

HTH,

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>

Este correo fue enviado por http://alumnos.utalca.cl