RE: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

Ciao all, this is my first email to GNOME Love (so if you DO recollect
my name, then you have a memory problem :)

Joachim, I feel what you are saying and what David is proposing are not
two essentially conflicting points of view.
David wants to give an option to GUI users to learn how to use the
command line: he feels user that want to go to the next level may enjoy
such didactic tool. His proposal seems brilliant to me: while performing
every day activities with GNOME a user can also learn how to solve the
same problems using a terminal. Such feature would be optional and
disabled by default, so not to get in the way of those users that would
be only confused by it. Please, also notice one last thing: adding such
an option would not mean that GNOME hackers have to stop doing every
possible effort to spare the terminal to those users that would rather
not touch one with a long stick: in an ideal GUI environment, no user
has to use the command line, but that doesn't mean that learn how to use
one is not a good thing. OK, one more point and I am really done: the
more fundamental reason why I *really* like David's proposal is that it
goes in the commendable direction of helping users to better understand
how computers work. And that's in my opinion is the most user-friendly
gift any GUI can give to its users.

My 2e,
Christian Sasso

Owning knowledge is wrong. Knowledge should be shared, that's what it
exists for.