Re: [gnome-love] Compiling 2.15.4

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 16:29:20 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
On 7/21/06, Magnus Therning <magnus therning org> wrote:
I followed the instructions at
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/newren/2005/10/04/0 (substituting URLs of
course). jhbuild bootstrap succeeded, but

 % jhbuild -m  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/releng/2.15.4/gnome-2.15.4.modules  build
 jhbuild list: dependent module "libdaemon" not found
 usage: jhbuild [ -f config ] command [ options ... ]

The moduleset was broken; I've put libdaemon back in the freedesktop
modules file again in that directory on the server.  It should work
now.

Thanks for catching this.

My pleasure :-)

I copied the entry from another freedesktop modules myself after
figuring out a bit more how the whole thing works. It allowed me to move
on to the next problem:

GTK+
----
gtk+ configure complained about no libtiff. I modified its autogenargs
to include --without-libtiff. I didn't even try installing the correct
dev package on my system. (Should libtiff be added to the
pre-requisites?)

libdaemon
---------
libdaemon configure complained about missing lynx. I installed it.
(Should lynx be added to the pre-requisites?)

avahi
-----
avahi configure first complained about gdbm. Installing libgdbm-dev
solved that.

Then it complained about D-Bus bindings for Python. Installing the
distro packages for this did no good, I assume that is since jhbuild
pulls in its own python, right? Adding --disable-python-dbus allowed me
to move on.

Then it complained about gdbm bindings for Python. This is where I gave
up. :-(

I must admit I'm slightly disappointed in 2.15.4. I know it's a
development release but I was hoping it'd be at least buildable. Any
guidance on how to move on will be most appreciated.

Elijah, any pointers on bug #344521? (Sorry, couldn't help myself :-)

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
     -- R.P. Feynman