Re: [gnome-love] tax software?

On 1/23/06, Tim Wilson <socialpariah gmail com> wrote:
I am a software developer with C++ experience and I am interested in
starting a tax software product for the Gnome platform.  This would be an
extensible form generator/processor that would rely on other "tax experts"
(of which I am not) to refresh the forms using graphical editors to do so.
The 0.1 release would focus on allowing the user to fill out simple forms
with simple calculations... working up to a 1.0 release that include a rules
engine to look for optimizations/corrections to particular forms.  The
ultimate goal allowing the user to eFile (electronically).  Has there been
any talk of such an application?  Who should I talk to to get the ball
rolling on this?

I wasn't aware of anyone having started a tax software product, but a
quick google search turns up:
  http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/octave-sources.2005/msg00005.html
The first link looks like it points to a project that is further along
and more extensive, while the latter email is nice in that it has
multiple links to other projects giving a feel for what exists.  You
may want to consider contacting and working with one of them, in
particular also writing a decent GUI (meaning a Gnome app, of course
;-) for them.