Re: [gnome-love] First post to this list and request for help to start a project

Hi Paolo, welcome on board :-p.

You will find some guides on how to start contributing to GNOME:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove
The GNOME wiki is definitely the first place to look, as developer.gnome.org is mostly out of date, and there's still no information about what is still true and what is not.

Here's an overview of the GNOME platform:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/guides/platform-overview/platform-overview.html

But as you want to code your own project, you will need to learn coding in GTK:
http://gtk.org/ and its GTK+ 2.0 tutorial is the place to go

If you prefer to code that kind of application using some shell script magic, you can also give a look to zenity (may be easier for you kind of project, I think):
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/zenity.1.php

Hope this helps ;-)
Au revoir :-p

Luis

Paolo Ciarrocchi a écrit :
Hi all,
this is my first post to this list so be patient with me :-)

I never develop under GNOME and it's been a few years since last time
I coded ( I was used to write C programs) and I would like to start
understanding how to develop a small GNOME application.

What I would like to do is:
- a graphical application
- an application that list all the installed kernels in the systems
- an application that allows to remove kernels/modules dirs

That's because I'm used to compile/test/install my owns kernels and I
would like to have a simple tool to get rid off of old kernels that I
don't need anymore.

So, first question is... What are the suggested steps to start writing
a GNOME apps?

Thanks in advance!

Ciao,

--