Re: [gnome-love] feedback on getting started.

On 11/3/05, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

Does the gnome website need help with this sort of
thing?

developer.gnome.org needs lots of help.  I don't know if that's part
of the foundation's having hired Shaun to write some good
documentation or not.  You could try asking on gnome-web-list.

Oops, not only did the wiki page you refer to forget
to mention that,
but I also forgot it in my guide...

Thanks for updating it :)
However, $WHOAMI doesn't seem to do anything on my
distro. I assume it's an environment variable? I think
even newbies will understand something like
'username'.

The instructions also added how to set that variable, you must have
forgotten to run that line ("export WHOAMI=`id -un`").  It just sets
it to the username you're running as (note that I instructed this line
be run before logging in as root and to not use a login shell so that
this wouldn't be cleared or reset).

<snip>
I fixed this problem and tried again:

joachim ubuntu:~$ jhbuild sanitycheck
automake-1.7 not found
automake-1.8 not found
automake-1.9 not found

Did you repeat the 'jhbuild bootstrap' after fixing
up your install
prefix so that you could write to it?

I hadn't, but I have now. This is the end of my output
(there's a lot of it but I think it's all relevant):

test -z "/home/joachim/gnome/lib" || mkdir -p --
"/home/joachim/gnome/lib"
 /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install
/home/joachim/bin/install-check  'libgettextsrc.la'
'/home/joachim/gnome/lib/libgettextsrc.la'
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

libtool: install: error: cannot install
`libgettextsrc.la' to a directory not ending in
/opt/gnome2/lib

Earlier, you said you had tried running things, then the failed to
install to /opt/gnome2, then you changed the prefix.  It looks like
you haven't changed the prefix back and you also didn't re-run
autogen.  It appears that you put things into an inconsistent state by
doing this.  I would delete /home/joachim/gnome/* and your
checkoutroot (probably /home/joachim/cvs/gnome2/) and for good measure
clean out /opt/gnome2/ too.  Then restart with the jhbuild bootstrap.

Cheers,
Elijah