Re: [gnome-love] At last.................... I made it.......

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 10:47 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
[snip]
 Let's stick to the facts: the core gnome desktop is written
in c (with glib/gobject, which makes it _way_ nicer than plain c) and as
of today no other languages will be included in the *core* desktop
release. I'll not dig into the reasons why originally c was chosen (they
are known and they easily are inflammatory material), but the reason why
only one language (in this case c) is allowed in the core desktop are
simple: consistency and maintainability.

I don't think there would be big opposition to using a language binding
in a Desktop (the Platform is another question) module if
- The language is well known and established, so that lots of people can
contribute.
- The binding is API-stable and will be well maintained in future.

However, new modules are not added to the Desktop very often, so there
is not a big chance of this situation happening.

But for your own applications, language bindings are a very good way to
develop GNOME-based applications. Many regular hard-core GNOME
developers prefer to use language bindings when developing applications.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com