[gnome-love] How to avoid the drawing delay?

Hi people!

I'm developing a VGA Planets client[0] for GNOME, it has as the main UI part, a GnomeCanvas that's 3000x3000 units in size, that canvas is the star map where the game draws the planets, ships, minefields, etc. Now I'm trying to draw the planet's names beneath the planet items (ellipses), and the problem is that the program takes 20 seconds to draw this text items (they're 500 planets on the starmap) on a PIII 800Mhz. I think that is too much time, considering that drawing 500 little cirles takes almost no time. I tried a simple:

gnome_canvas_item_new (group, GNOME_TYPE_CANVAS_TEXT,
                           "text", "some text",
                           "x", xi,
                           "y", yi + 10,
                           "fill_color", "white",
                           NULL);

Is there any way to shorten this time? Or I should trick the user by showing a progress dialog?

If this list is not suitable for this kind of email, please tell me so...I didn't write to gnome-devel-list yet.

Best regards,

[0] Gnome War Pad: http://gwp.lunix.com.ar

--
Lucas Di Pentima - Santa Fe, Argentina - Jabber ID: lucas lunix com ar
LUNIX: Soluciones en GNU/Linux - http://www.lunix.com.ar