Re: [gnome-love] Introduction......

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 11:55, Elijah P Newren wrote:
On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 21:51 -0500, John Hornbeck wrote:
Hello, my name is John Hornbeck.  I have been a GNOME user for a few
years and have always wanted to help in some way.  I am finally getting
the know how and the time to try and help out.  If someone could point
me in the direction of a project that needs help in someway or if there
is something specific that needs to be done, please let me know.  I can
write docs, test software, build packages, and I can code somewhat and I
am good at reading code for errors.  Hope I can be of help to someone.
John Hornbeck

Hi, and welcome.  :-)

Sometimes the hardest part about getting started is determining what
exactly you want to help with.  It's unlikely that any GNOME project
would turn you away if you started helping, so it's really a matter of
determining what your abilities and interests are.  However...

Since you mention docs as well as coding, yelp or gnome-doc-utils may be
a great place for you to start (as well as other things the GNOME
documentation project might have).  Shaun (the GNOME Documentation
Project Fearless Leader) has been looking for people to help him out
with those projects and he's willing to help people get started.

As for testing software which you also mention, joining the bugsquad may
be another route.  (They tend to do more triaging than bug testing, but
testers are obviously welcome)

We also have an assortment of (mostly coding oriented) task lists at
http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GNOMELove, which can provide a
starting point for you.  In particular, there's a GNOME Keyring Manager
project that was started specifically as a project to attract
contributions from new people.

Let me also note (since you also brought up packaging) that there was
once a Gnome Packaging Project as well.  It's about as dead as a
doornail and should really be removed from the various GNOME project
listings, but if you were really interested you could talk to some
people about reviving it.

Let us know if any of those interest you.

Elijah

I am most intested in writing docs and packageing at the moment.  I work
on a gentoo system, but I can get another machine up and running any
distro to test things out.  I have tried working through bugs before but
I don't think I have every really done it right.  If there is someone to
guide me a few steps on bugs I will attack that.  Basicly I can do
almost any of it and am willing to.  I can code but would rather not go
that route right now as I am not very confident in myself on that
aspect.  I guess just point me to something and say go.
John

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by OnlineOK Mail SErver]