Re: [gnome-love] GNOME Screensaver Frontend

Hi all,

Something that has come up many times, but probably not fleshed out enough
for pimping to gnome-love and new contributors is a new GNOME Screensaver
frontend. Despite previous attempts, it seems that 'fixing' GNOME support in
xscreensaver itself is pretty pointless, but the hacks 'protocol/standard'
is worth supporting, so...

I'd also like to see a nice API for disabling/enabling the screensaver.
For example, a full-screen video player should be able to call
screensavers_disable() to avoid playback interuption.  I tried to work
with jwz on adding this to xscreensaver but he asserted that calling
system("xscreensaver-command -deactivate >&- 2>&- &") was good enough.
I think it was XawTV that contained a kludge that used an unpublished
xscreensaver API to do this in a nicer (?) way.  The kludge required
once to copy source files from xscreensaver's tree into xawtv.

Oh, and it would be nice if screensavers considered joystick and other
non-traditional input in addition to keyboards and mice.  Optionally
considering video capture or microphone input might be really cool.

--
Mike

:wq