[gnome-love] Linux Desktop Standard

Hi,

This posting is regarding Desktop Usage in Linux!

This sometimes seems crazy! Sometimes not accepted!
But this is what I think.....

There should be a standard in the OS community.  We
will concentrate on End-Users side.  When somebody
creates an application for a purpose, the application
should try to satisfy that purpose (if possible - also
related to that purpose) fully.  But in GNU/Linux
world, I am seeing many softwares for a particular
task.  For writing CDs, there are many (GUIs).  CLIs
are very standard, but we are talking about the GUIs.

Again the presence of two different Desktop Managers
is sometimes difficult.  I don't know how far is this
issue for the users of GNU/Linux.  When you consider
the Windows operating system, there is some standard.
For dialing up to the net, I need to use dial-up
networking.  Microsoft doesn't provide more than one
tool for a specific purpose.  But here, we have more
than one application any of them without full
feautures.

Fine.  Now I am thinking to introduce a standard.
"Everything is one and the best".  Lets take GNOME
desktop as a GUI system (and it is prefered to KDE in
this standard).  GNOME has already adopted a standard
on its one.  Nautilus Filemanager (with integrated
cd-writing..), Galeon (browser), Gnome-office, ..  !
But the final product (distro) is really mixed.  A
desktop GNU/Linux system should consist of all
required softwares each satisfying a specific purpose.
 Being so, they should be as feauture rich as
possible.  Whenever a developer write a software, he
should confirm the fact, his or someone's project will
be full-fledged end product for the respective
purpose.  For a purpose, developers across the country
should unite to work for it when they think about
developing a software on their own for that purpose.

I think there aren't many killer softwares available
under Linux.  If available, most of them are CLI or
feature deficient.  There should be a standard for
Desktop Linux.  If this happens, probably one can come
along with a distro that adopts to this standard (or
inherit from other distro or instruct them to do so
(Mdk?) ).

After this, desktop usage of Linux would be believed
to fit well in areas were Windows stays.

Regarding this issue, I am currently trying to know
all the technical details of GNOME and related stuffs.
 Also I will involve on some software projects (if not
already done) that will adhere to the above standard.
My GNU/Linux experience will go this way ....

Note
====
1. gIDE has been a popular IDE for GNOME develpers
once upon a time.  But now gIDE and the current most
popular development tool Anjuta joined together to
work on Anjuta Dev Studio.
http://anjuta.org
This explains why this "One and the best" policy.

2. We have "powerarchiver" for windows.  No software
in GNU/Linux is equivalent to this one.
http://powerarchiver.com
Like this we can list out many GUI stuffs. (Of course,
Windows devs can't beat Linux devs when coming to
CLIs.  cdrecord, mplayer are all killer softwares than
that in Windows)

Any thoughts? ...

=====
Name: R. Sridhar