[gnome-love] Xaw

I've been using various X Athena-based applications for years, However...

Call me crazy, but a modern, user-friendly desktop should not contain
applications built with the X Athena widget library.  I think most people
would feel it is ugly and difficult to use.  However, most packaging
systems out there strongly recommend installing Xaw applications.
For example, Debian's xbase-clients contains several Xaw applications.

Of these applications, I would like to start a discussion about which
are no longer needed, which have GNOME replacements and which need
replacements written.  If I get some agreement about Xaw and some input, I
would like to petition various package managers to make their packages
a bit more fine grained.  For example, xbase-client could become
xbase-client and xbase-client-xaw.

I started with a list of Xaw applications that I have on my system:

        Package xbase-client:
                Xaw App.        GNOME App.
                ==========================
                beforelight     xscreensaver
                bitmap          gimp?
                editres         ?
                listres         ?
                viewres         ?
                xbiff           gbiff
                xcalc           GNOME's calculator
                xclipboard      ?
                xclock          various GNOME clocks
                xconsole        ?
                xcutsel         not needed?
                xditview        not needed?
                xedit           gedit
                xf86cfg         xf86config, distribution-provided tools
                xfd             ?
                xfontsel        GNOME applications should display fonts in menus
                xgamma          Why does this require Xaw?
                xgc             GNOME IDEs?
                xkbbell         ?
                xkbvleds        ?
                xkbwatch        ?
                xload           gtop, various panel applets
                xlogo           ?
                xmag            GNOME
                xman            yelp
                xmessage        gdialog
                xsm             gnome-session
                xvidtune        ?

        Package tetex-bin:
                Xaw App.        GNOME App.
                xdvi.real       xgdvi (NEEDS TO BE PORTED TO gtk2.0?
                oxdvi.real      xgdvi  should GNOME have one electronic
                                       document viewer for pdf, ps, dvi, etc?)

        Package gv:
                Xaw3d App.      GNOME App.
                gv              gpdf (no problem to replace but see xgdvi note)