Re: [gnome-love] Gnome Sound Deamon

gnome sound server doesn't start probably because your sound device is grabbed by some other application,
such as 'artsd'... Are you alone on the machine you log in ? It may be possible that someone else started any
audio application. If such an app is started, it grabs the audio device, and every other application that
needs the device is stucked until the device is freed.
***
Make this try :
Do not launch the sound server with gnomeCC, but manyally from a gnome-terminal: $~> esd
if esd say nothing but beeep beeep, then it is ok. Else, give back the error message here..
***
FYI, I got many problem about that when starting GNOME on a multi-user machine, since someone else could use
already the sound card at the same time (we share the same machine and have X displays). For example :
Someone else on KDE or blackbox or wmaker, launches mozilla on a web site that contains macromedia falsh
data, hence, the flash plugin will grab the sound device automatically EVEN if *no* sond is needed. And you
can't launch esd anymore: it stucks. The right way is to launch esd before all other application, such that
the one that detects its presence use it.

Hth
BEn

P.S:
If you are ALL GNOME, it is important to use the esd version of mpg123 (apt-get install mpg123-esd) and to
use the esd plugin of XMMS, Xine, ogg123, etc... the magical 'ogle' dvd player, for example, stucks if gnome
esd is started, and it has no esd plugin (AFAIK) : you have to launch it this way: $~> esdctl standby && ogle
&& esdctl resume
to keep everything working.

KrEaToR:KrEaToR wrote:
 Normally my Gnome Desktop works, just not
with the sound server.

I can not play sounds with esdplay either.

--
"Why don't you play this at the Bottom Line ? We will arrange it."
-- Bob Hurwitz to Steve Reich