[gnome-love] font file, Interior salish a subset of the IPA, HOWTO make one?

To Whomever Might Offer Clues:

   I'm working with a language with only several hundred speakers... and some
dozens of computers... the numbers of both are slowly growing!

   I want to create a font file to use and share, not to sell.

    We use a subset of the IPA, International Phonetics Alphabet.

    The language is an Interior Salish, spoken primarily in north central
Washington State, USA, and the Okanangan area of British Columbia, Canada.

    Will someone offer me pointers, clues....?

    How do I do it?

    Where do I look?

    Robert Thomas
    rttj operamail com