Re: "index.sgml" problem when using vicious-build-scripts [Was: [gnome-love] GNOME 2 needs YOU! - gnome-utils : easy fix ;)]

Empty_one, I hope this can help.

"/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `./html/index.sgml': No such file"

When I tried to build GNOME2 from CVS, vicious-build-scripts failed at
glib for the reason above.

I'm sure many people have experienced this problem and it should have
been solved, so I went to http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/search but it
totally sucks. It missed lots of obvious hits when I tested it:-(

Question 5.6 of
http://www.gnome.org/~chema/gnome-love/compiling_faq.html talked about
this, but Chema's solution didn't work for me. It took me almost 2 hours
to figure out what's wrong in my case -- CATALOG.

Short answer for debian users:
        apt-get jade openjade docbook docbook-dsssl
                or even: apt-get install gtk-doc ;-)
        export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog

Whole story:
gtk-doc needs a usable docbook toolkit. You have to get every component
right -- DTD, jade/openjade, dsssl, catalog ... There are plenty of docs
on docbook installation. Just go to google.

I was building GNOME2 on a fresh woody and had openjade installed
already. However, it turned out that both openjade and jade are needed,
as some catalog files are only available in jade package.

If it still refuses to work, go into
/gnome/head/cvs/glib/docs/reference/glib and try "make", you will get
detailed error messages, such as "cannot generate system identifier for
public text XXX..... ". Check your SGML_CATALOG_FILES and make sure XXX
is in it.

Thanks to jfleck, who helped me on irc.gnome.org.

Good luck!