Gnome dialer (was : [gnome-love] Contribution to Gnome)

Boris Buegling wrote:

Hello guys !

So the Gtop task is already completed. In spite of this, I'm still interested
in contributing to the project. I hope there are some coding tasks open in the
project. I didn't find the ToDo database very helpful, so I wanted to ask
if there is anything I could do to give something back to a project that has
given me some very useful applications for my linux-box. But I don't want to do
translation and other stuff, I want to program.

There are a million tasks to do out there, for one you could look at bugzilla.gnome.org
to search the bugs database. But since you seem to be looking for a big task i'll give
you an idea. We don't have a good PPP dialer, this is not a PPP configurator we can do
that with the network-tool in the setup tools we just need the dialer part. This task is
only good for you ONLY IF you use a dialer to connect to the internet, because you will not be
as motivated as you would of coding an app that is usefull to you.

So this dialer when launched should pop up a box with the list of ppp conections configured
in the system. It should have 2 buttons a connect one and a configure one. If configured is
clicked it will launch the XST network configurator dialog to set up the dialing parameters,
if connect is clicked, it will (you guessed it right) do an equivalent of ifup pppX, forking
a ifup is not good enough since we need to track the ppp conection after it goes down and
monitor bytes transmited, etc. KDE has a decent dialer called kppp, we need something like that
hoever kppp does very very nasty things, if you configure a connection with kppp you can only
dial with it wants to replace wvdial (I think it includes a modified version of wvdial inside it)
rather than work well with the system. We have in GNOME a dialer applet called RP3 but it is
redhat specific for some reason people do not like it even when using redhat, at least that is the
impression that i get from users, but it might be a good starting point. There is also a modem lights
capplet which might be a good starting point.

Let me know if you are interested and I can discuss more details about it. The trick here is to have
a simple, small, first implementation as soon as possible and get it out there soon. Then start doing
releases often.

There is a HUGE users need for something like this, so this project has a good chance of taking
of fast.

love,
Chema

Regards,