[gnome-love] what replaced Gtk+s drawing_area

hi all,
  just joined the list. I'm writing a small paint app.
Up until now I was using a GnomeCanvas for the drawing
bit of the UI but after looking at how other apps have
been written I began to wonder if a Gtk drawing_area was
how it's meant to be done?
  After reading the docs on the drawing area I noticed
that Gtks' drawing area was depricated but thet didn't say
what it is being replaced by.

My app is a GNOME app so I would use the GnomeCanvas if that
is what replaced the drawing area but what do pure Gtk apps
use?

I hope to be making a quite complete 0.1 release in a month
or so, development is going well. Any suggestions would be
appreciated though.

Thanks all,
Ciaran O'Riordan.

p.s. my internet access can be very intermittent so If I do
not respond for a few days it's not out of dis-interest.
(All suggestions responded to, no photo required ;)