Re: [gnome-love] Intrested in hacking gnome and doing gtop tree

On 08 Jun 2001 15:15:17 -0400, Mike Borrelli wrote:
Hey,

Sorry for this pseudo-'me too' response.  I just had a thought about it
and hoped it might be of some use.

Lots of people complain that Linux isn't user friendly enough.  It's
getting better and I'm sure that one day our grandparents are going to be
building rpms and such, but anyway.  On to my idea how to help it get that
way.

This applet seems like a really neat idea, but what would be cool (and
shouldn't be too difficult to add on to what you propsed already) is a
'list' of programs that are system in nature, ie, /usr/X11R6/X, etc.  If
the util had this, along with some other options, it would be really neat
for a newbie.  The idea is that if the program drawing the CPU time is a
'critical' or 'system' task, don't show the user if it's in beginer mode,
for example.  This way, if for some reason, X was the culprit and some Joe
Schmow saw this, he might not know that X is required for GNOME to run, so
he'd happily kill it and wonder why everything went away.

I'm not sure how much configurablity it should have, but it would be neat
to have programs (with regular expression matching), users, and a 'skill
level'.  If it's set to beginer it only shows their own tasks that run
away.  Intermediate would show their own and system tasks with a warning,
and Expert would just show the task without using any of the filters.

Good?  Awful?

Regards,
Mike

On Fri Jun  8 16:11:13 2001 Sebastian Kapp said...