Re: [gnome-love] Intrested in hacking gnome and doing gtop tree view

On Tue Jun 05, 2001 at 03:13:33PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
I like this.  So `new_terminal' would look at this setting and do the
right job.

Gnome Terminal can create new terminals from two points:

      1. From the menu, by using `New Terminal'.

      2. When a gnome-terminal contacts a gnome-terminal factory and
           launches a new one.

I think that we should use "tabs" only for case (1), for case (2) we
should always open a new toplevel window.

This way people who like having
multiply app windows for each terminal (often times I
like this) can, but people who want to have them all
in one window can too.
Anyway, what're you guys think?

Miguel.

This seems inconsistent to me.  The user would check tabbed mode but
then it would only be tabbed sometimes.  I think it would make the
most sense if at (1) you have two menu options:  `New Terminal Tab'
and `New Terminal Window' and at (2)  you follow whatever the user has
selected as their preference.

You may want to look at how Galeon handles the preferences for tabbed
browsing.  It would be nice if this sort of thing was handled
consistently across GNOME apps.

Personally, I think I would only benefit from this at (2) because I
can't remember the last time I clicked `New Terminal'.  But I may be
an odd user.

--Mike