Re: Session management

Am Freitag, den 24.04.2020, 05:01 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
Am Mittwoch, den 22.04.2020, 17:53 +0200 schrieb rpr // via gnome-
list:
On
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1084389/automatically-remember-current-running-applications

you should also read the "Answer" section after reading the
question.

So, the first and only answer mentions that there is a Gnome Shell

extension that can be used as the session manager:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1323/window-session-manager/

I've tried that on a Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine (with Gnome Shell

3.28.4) and my conclusion is that it works but is quite complicated

install. Here are the steps that worked for me:

(1) Install package manager for Node JavaScript platform:

$ sudo apt install npm

(2) Using npm install the linux-window-session-manager package:

$ sudo npm install -g linux-window-session-manager

(3) Install GNOME Shell extensions integration for web browsers
(this

is required for the next step to work):

$ sudo apt-get install chrome-gnome-shell

(4) In Firefox (or Chrome) open

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1323/window-session-manager/

and enable the Window Session Manager extension by turning the ON

switch.

After that the Gnome extension displays an icon in top panel where
you

save your windows session before logging out and also restore a

session after logging in.

Your installation instructions work well. Thanks.

But the Window Session Manager extension doesn't. I can save the
session, but it gets all messed up when I restore it. Most windows
get
opened on the first desktop. Evolution doesn't get reopened at all...
I've tried removing all the (four) autostart programs, but this
doesn't
help.

I've turned off Firefox's "restore session" feature, but then it
doesn't work either. I get the two Firefox windows, which I saved in
the Window Session Manager session, and an additional three new Firefox
windows. It's crazy.

Volker