Custom keyboard settings

I've just come back to Gnome after being away for over a year[1].
I've found some things have improved since then and I've decided to
give Gnome another try.

Since I last used Gnome I've moved back to my native Sweden and
Swedish keyboards have a layout that isn't at all convenient for
programmers.  Earlier, when using LXDE+LXDM, I had a setup where I
modified the keymap using a per-user XKB configuration via ~/.xprofile
[2].  However, now I find that this scheme no longer works.  GDM
*does* source ~/.xprofile, but something, I don't know what, undoes my
careful modifications afterwards.

How should I go about making this kind of custom modifications to the
keymap when using Gnome/GDM?

/M

[1]: http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-list gnome org/msg04384.html
[2]: http://therning.org/magnus/archives/982

email: magnus therning org   jabber: magnus therning org