Re: Preserving an application's position and size

On Tue, 2013-01-01 at 13:32 -0700, James Moe wrote:
> On 12/29/2012 03:42 PM, James Moe wrote:
> > How do I have applications start with the same size and position
> > each time they start, as when they are closed?
>   Anyone?
>   Is it possible?

It is generally a feature of the *application* to push and pop its
geometry on shutdown and startup.

Some applications, especially 'traditional' X11 applications, allow you
to specify geometry when invoking the application as a command line
parameter.

There have been a variety of tools for scripticiously controlling window
placement and management.  But all those are inherently bound to the
window manager - do any of them work with GNOME3 shell?  I don't know.

The only living [not completely moribund] set of such spells I'm aware
of is Devil's Pie 2 <http://www.gusnan.se/devilspie2/>

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer