Re: How does one install software in Gnome Shell

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Ademeion Ademo <ademeion gmail com> wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu Gnome Shell Remix, and I'm trying to install some
> software into it. The problem is I can't find a way to do that. There
> doesn't seem to be a software center or similar available for the purpose. I
> thought I'm somewhat of a power user, but this one beats me. I've spent a
> couple of hours trying to solve the problem, reading the sparse manual and
> looking for the answer online too. So help me out and tell how does one
> install software in Gnome Shell. I know I could use the terminal and
> apt-get, but I'd like to learn the graphical way (partly because I might
> introduce Gnome Shell to other, less experienced people).

It looks to me that Ubuntu Gnome Shell Remix don't have a big
community that can give decent support ,e.g., it doesn't offer install
image for 12.10. That's not something you should introduce to
non-power users I guess.

For yourself, you may install 'software-center' package manually.

In general, the way of installing software is distribution dependent,
for both CLI tools and graphical frontends.

I've heard that some people are working on a unified solution, but it
isn't ready to use now.