Re: The new Gnome 3 desktop won't load and run.

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 06:51 -0400, Jayson Rowe wrote:
> > Command: sudo lshw -C video
> >  Output:
> >   *-display
> > product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
> > vendor: Intel Corporation
> > configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
> Chris, I'm not very familiar with Intel graphics, so I'm not sure if
> that chipset has the required 3D capabilities for Shell or not - perhaps
> someone else on the list will know.

The 82845G is an i915 like chipset that is a decade old at this point.
It wasn't especially powerful when it was new.  The i915 is the very
very lowest chipset which theoretically should be able to handle GNOME
Shell. *BUT* the i915 to i945 are *hardware* [NOT Xorg/LINUX's FAULT]
limited to a 2048 pixel axis; so if your screen is large/hi-res or you
have a second screen connected the chip will not be accelerated and
GNOME Shell won't run.

Perhaps on boot-up you can try "i915.modeset=0" appended to the GRUB
loader command.  My notes mention something about that but aren't clear.

This thread is confusing because I don't know what "GNOME classic"
means;  is that yet another Ubuntu thing?  In GNOME 3 there is "GNOME
Shell" and "GNOME fallback" (fall-back is still GNOME 3 but without
Shell,  fall-back is intended for running GNOME3 on antique hardware).

But if you are running GNOME Fallback try "gnome-shell --replace &" and
see what happens.  This is attempt to 'force' GNOME Shell on top of your
current GNOME session.