I remapped my Tab and Escape keys (for vi) and now task switching in GNOME 2 is broken...

Hi.  I remapped my Tab and Escape keys using xmodmap, for editing with vi,

    xmodmap -e 'keycode 23 = Escape'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 9 = Tab'

but now task switching in GNOME 2 (on CentOS 5.7) is broken.

When I strike the Alt-Tab physical keys now, I get my previous window.

If I press the Alt-Tab keys, and release the Tab key while still holding down
Alt, I get the Tash Switcher window, with the 2nd icon highlighted, but if I
then press the Tab key again, the Task Switcher window goes away.

When I strike the physical keys Alt-Escape it just switches me back to
the previous window, and it does not matter if I hold down Alt or not,
same deal.

What's the proper way to remap Tab and Escape within GNOME 2, please?

Best,
Aleksey