corrupt profile

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 and GNOME, GNOME classic and GNOME classic (no
effects) are each "broken" for this user account, however the
GNOME/openbox option works fine.

What happens is that a panel tries to load, but appears caught in an
infinite loop.  In any event, the desktop freezes and no commands work
(no terminal).

Can I "zap" the GNOME settings for this account?  I just want to
recreated GNOME fallback.  I'd rather avoid using apt, unless it's
called for.  Incidentally, why does the GNOME/openbox version work?  I
don't mind openbox, it's just a *tad* heavy for my system.

thanks,

Thufir