Re: problem in Fedora16 with Gnome3

Well my problem was because I upgraded from F14 to F16. Apparently the upgrade logic doesn't install gnome-shell because it didn't exist in F14 and thus is not in the upgrade.

If you installed from a Live CD, it does not sound like the same problem.

One way to find out if gnome-shell is missing in your installation is to run the following command from a terminal:

$ rpm -qa | grep gnome-shell

Among possible other results you should see:

gnome-shell-3.2.2.1-1.fc16.i686

If you do not see the above entry, then you should login as root and install the gnome-shell using yum:

yum install gnome-shell

If you do see that gnome-shell is installed then there is some other problem. I have another F16 system that will not run in non-fallback-mode. So far I have no answers on that one.

Philip

--
Linuxfest Northwest - Apr 28, 29, 2012 <http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/>
LinuxCounter Registered user #543121 has 5 linux machines <http://linuxcounter.net/user/543121.html>

RAMA KRISHNA KOPPISETTI wrote:
Hello,

I installed Fedora 16 with live CD. After install gnome-shell also i didn't get gnome3 graphical screen.Could you please suggest me how to install gnome3.