Re: How does the gnome network tools fit in together?

Hey Debarshi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am having some issues with connecting to VPN using Gnome's network manager. Even though I have selected it to connect automatically, it never does so. The typical behaviour would be to detect if there's a network connection and connect to the VPN. On failure, it can try a few times before giving up.

If it's a config issue, please tell me how to fix it. If it is a bug in the codebase, please direct me to the components or projects (I see a number of components related to Network Manager) from where I can start hacking.

Regards,
Ratnadeep

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
> I wonder how does all these fit together. I mean the network applet in
> gnome-shell, network-manager-applet, etc.

The status indicator in gnome-shell, and network-manager-applet are different
code bases doing the same thing. The latter used to be a part of the fallback
mode, which did not have gnome-shell.

Both of them are just frontends to the NetworkManager service that runs on
the system bus, and talks to it over D-Bus.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.