Netspeed applet replacement and other stuff?

Hi,

Looks like the fallback alternative is gone, so I have to use the
default mess if not switching to some other WM :-( Is there a
replacement for the netspeed applet available?

Is there any settings that at least mimics the looks-and-feel of gnome 2
available???

Another question: How do I switch between to applications running in two
work areas or (whatever it is called now). To switch, now I have to move
the mouse to the upper left corner, click on the work area, click on the
application (if I can find it there, no icons with titles any longer).
The going back the same procedure again, not productive in my opinion.