Controlling gnome-panel menus/applets via command-line

Hello list,

I've often wanted to find out how to evoke gnome-panel menus via textual commands, so that I could open and switch focus to a menu via a keyboard shortcut. For example, GNOME 2's "shutdown menu" part of the Indicator applet is mapped to <Super-S> on my system, and the main Applications menu is accessible via <Alt-F1>.

Say I'd like to change these mappings, or create similar mappings in GNOME Classic - I'd need to have a "command" to evoke on pressing my desired keyboard combination, right? I don't know how else to describe what I want to the system. So:

What command can be used to interact with gnome-panel menus / applets?

And, is there a generalised way I can find out what internal signals or commands are executed when I interact with parts of the GNOME desktop with the mouse?

Thanks!
--
--Ryan